The following are observations from examining the newly released probate calendars for England and Wales, 1858-1966, from Ancestry.
- The entries for probates in 1903 and 1941 are included twice.
- About three quarters of probates occur in the year of death.
- Over half of probates are granted within three months of death.
- There are a few percent more probates processed in a year than deaths mentioned as having occurred in that year, the result of having to refile.
- The percent of deaths leading to probate increased from 7% in 1870, to 18% in 1920, to 43% in 1950.