03 June 2007

First thoughts on the OGS Seminar

It's over. I dragged my weary feet home on Sunday afternoon after three days of extensive walking around Ottawa's Algonquin College and the annual Ontario Genealogical Society Seminar. The research room, which I co-lead, was at one extreme while the rooms where the meals were served, and special events held, was at the other.

I had forgotten how, when a meeting is in your own city, you get to experience less of it owing to your involvement in the organization. Fortunately I did manage to attend a few good presentations, and heard nothing but compliments about all the presentations. I also spent time in the marketplace, as well as making two presentations and doing duty in the research room.

Kudos to the many folks from the Ottawa Branch of OGS who volunteered for the event, all under the capable leadership of Branch Chair, Mike More.

The big announcement, one I missed, was of a cooperation agreement between Library and Archives Canada and Ancestry.ca which will see an index to passenger lists of ships arriving at Quebec from 1865 to 1900 made freely available. Border crossings records from the United States to Canada that took place between 1908 and 1935 will also become available. Dick Eastman has the full text here. I am informed these agreements with Ancestry.ca do not imply there is a lack of scope for other companies or organizations to partner with LAC.

No comments: